You can have esophageal cancer for a long period of time without experiencing any signs or symptoms. Meanwhile, the size of the tumor continues to increase in the esophagus and thicken its lining. Most of the times, symptoms of esophageal cancer emerge when the cancer is fairly advanced. Esophageal cancer is often diagnosed late; that’s what makes it so difficult to completely eradicate it even with effective treatment.
In general, you will experience these signs and symptoms if you have esophageal cancer:
- difficulty swallowing (Dysphagia)
- painful swallowing
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- vomiting blood (complications)
- feeling of discomfort or illness
- indigestion associated with heartburn
- pain in the throat, chest or back.