Since the causes of Hodgkin lymphoma are not well known, it is not easy to prevent it. However, to prevent the occurrence of almost all types of cancer, including Hodgkin lymphoma, it is necessary to live a healthy lifestyle. Your lifestyle is often the open door to development of cancer. Even if you are at low risk, you might get cancer if you continue to expose your body to carcinogens.
Several factors can cause formation of cancerous cells in your body. Some risk factors such as sex and age are impossible to change, others are easily preventive. If you want to prevent Hodgkin lymphoma and other cancers, you need to:
- avoid tobacco smoke, including second hand smoke
- adopt a healthy diet: a diet containing 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day may help prevent occurrence of Hodgkin lymphoma
- maintain a healthy weight;
- limit your alcohol intake
- reduce your exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation
- exercise regularly
- practice safe sex
- see your doctor immediately if you have persistent swollen lymph nodes
- tell your doctor or dentist of any change that indicates the presence of cancer.