Since the causes of kidney cancer are well known, it is not possible to fully prevent it. However, to prevent the occurrence of almost all types of cancer, including kidney cancer, it is necessary to live a healthy lifestyle. Your lifestyle as well as your environment can lead to development of cancer cells in your kidney.
Several factors can cause formation of cancerous cells in your body. Some risk factors such as sex and age are impossible to be avoided; others, however, can be prevented. If you want to prevent kidney cancer and many other cancers, you need:
- avoid chemical exposure
- avoid working in industries that implement or manufacture iron and steel from ore
- avoid tobacco smoke, including second hand smoke
- adopt a healthy diet: a diet containing 5 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day may help prevent occurrence of kidney cancer.
- maintain a healthy weight;
- limit your alcohol intake
- reduce your exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation
- exercise regularly
- take all abnormal bleeding seriously
- practice safe sex
- tell your doctor or dentist of any change that indicates the presence of cancer.