There are peritoneal mesothelioma, affecting the abdominal cavity; pericardial mesothelioma, affecting the lining of the heart; and pleural mesothelioma, affecting the lining of the lungs. The most common form is pleural mesothelioma. You run the risk of suffering one of these types of mesothelioma if you have worked directly with asbestos or asbestos products.
Among individuals at high risk of developing mesothelioma include:
- Gas Installers
- Building Workers
- Steel Manufacturers
- Sheet metal workers
- Shipbuilding worker
- Manufacturers of chassis of vehicles including rail vehicles.
The following products may also contain asbestos:
- corrugated cement sheets used to cover walls or ceilings;
- textured coatings: artex and others
- bituminous roof coverings
- tile floor in v inyl or thermoplastic
- panels of wood fibers containing asbestos used as combustible
- insulation panels used as protection against fire, thermal insulation, and others
- Wrapped cardboard, paper and paper products used for insulation of electrical equipment.