Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that can develops in the abdominal cavity (peritoneum), the envelope of the heart (pericardium), in lining around the testicles or the lining of the lungs (mesothelium). Thus, depending on the organ affected, the tumor can be called: peritoneal mesothelioma, pericardial mesothelioma, mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis, or pleural mesothelioma (commonly called mesothelioma).

Pleural mesothelioma is the most common and more severe form of mesothelioma. It is the result of exposure and inhalation of asbestos, a mineral fiber that was widely used in a variety of building construction materials. Once inhaled, asbestos remains on your mesothelium and cause an abnormal growth in your mesothelial tissue; this medical condition is called cancer of the mesothelium or mesothelioma.

You can be exposed directly to asbestos or indirectly through friends or family members that brought the fiber home from their work on their clothes, on their hair or on their skin. Unlike many other forms of cancer, the prognosis of mesothelioma is dreadful; in general, life expectancy of mesothelioma patients is between 12 to 18 months after treatment. Over 75% of mesothelioma victims die within one year. The remaining 25% may live longer, but often in sadness and pain. However, although very rare, it is reported that some mesothelioma victims are completely recovered; therefore, do your best to be a mesothelioma victor.

                                                                          Melanoma Statistics

Leave a Reply