Preventing ovarian cancer is not always possible, but there are steps you can take to prevent not only ovarian cancer but also several types of cancer. Your lifestyle as well as your environment can play a major role in the development of cancer in your body. If you want to prevent the formation of cancer cells in your ovaries and all other organs, it is important to:
- avoid taking danazol
- have children, and breast-feed them
- have a hysterectomy – if you are at risk, this surgical intervention reduce your risk of ovarian cancer
- adopt a healthy diet – a diet containing 5 to 10 servings of fruits and cruciferous vegetables a day can help prevent many cancers including ovarian cancer.
- reduce your exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or artificial tanning devices, such as tanning beds;
- tell your doctor or dentist of any change that indicates the presence of cancer.
- do not smoke and avoid second hand cigarette smoke;
- exercise regularly
- maintain a healthy weight
- limit your intake of alcohol
- practice safe sex.
Note : use oral contraceptives – it is shown that women who use birth control pills for 5 years or more have lower risk of ovarian cancer compared with women who’ve never used them, according to the staff of the mayo clinic.