There are many types of cancer which can affect different parts of the body. Some of these types are also largely confined to women. Since cancer is most effectively treatable in its earliest stages, it is very important to be aware of some of the top cancer symptoms in women so that potential problems which affect mostly women can be identified, diagnosed and treated properly. So let’s review and describe some of the top cancer symptoms in women as follows:
- Unexplained weight loss. There is normally no reason for the body to lose weight unless a change in diet or activity ensues. If you experience a rather significant degree of weight loss not attributable to these factors, it may be indicative of a larger problem. As cancer progresses, it can rob the body of essential nutrients which can result in weight loss.
- Bloating is often an everyday occurrence with women at one time or another during the month. However bloating which is persistent and continues for more than a few weeks may indicate the presence of ovarian cancer. It should be immediately investigated and a proper diagnosis made.
- Changes in the breast do not normally happen without good reason. If you find the presence of a lump or if there is a change in your nipple size or shape then this may be of concern. Also check to see if there is any unusual discharge from one of the nipples. It may be a milky or bloody composition. This is not a normal situation and bears further testing and evaluation. Most breast cancers can be effectively treated if they are diagnosed or treated in the earliest stages. Therefore if you experience any of these symptoms, don’t just ignore them.
- Unusual vaginal bleeding. If you have gone through menopause and experience persistent and unusual bleeding, this should be of concern. Or for those who have not yet gone through menopause, any large changes in the menstrual cycle of heavy bleeding between periods should be checked into further.
- Changes in the skin. Any moles, warts or skin patches which change color, shape or feel may indicate a potential skin cancer problem. Skin cancer is normally one of the easiest cancers to treat effectively. But these kinds of changes can indicate the onset of melanoma which is a much more serious and potentially deadly form of skin cancer. So these observed changes need further investigation immediately.
- If you are having difficulty swallowing this may be indicative of a problem with esophageal cancer. This type of problem is not normally experienced so its emergence deserves further investigation.
- Blood which is present in places where it should not normally be is an area of concern. For example if you find the presence of blood in your urine or stool this may be of concern. And while the presence of blood in the urine may be caused by a urinary tract infection or blood in the stool from hemorrhoids, it is serious enough to warrant further investigation by your doctor.
- And if you find that you have persistent abdominal pain coupled with depression, it has been found that this can be linked to the presence of pancreatic cancer. This is a serious symptom and should not be ignored.
- Indigestion for no apparent reason is something of concern. It may be indicative of cancer of the esophagus, stomach or throat.
- Many women experience some type of pain at various times. However if they begin to notice a persistent amount of pain which does not seem to abate or go away, this is also something which bears further review by your doctor.
And as we have said earlier, many of these symptoms may be caused by other things like infections or non-threatening illnesses. However they have all been linked to different types of cancers which can affect most women. These symptoms should therefore never be ignored and a proper examination and diagnosis is almost always warranted. Give yourself the best opportunity to treat the cancer which may affect you in the earliest possible stage but paying close attention to these warning signs.